I gave my friend free range of my food board on Pinterest offering to cook her anything. She chose three options and of course I picked this because if you couldn’t already tell, I love pasta and broccoli. I’m not really a fan of homemade mac & cheese, I’m totally a Krafts girl but everyone’s got to try new things.
2 cups of frozen broccoli
1/2 pound of elbow macaroni
1 1/2 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons of flour
1 1/3 cups milk
6 oz sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
4 oz pepper jack cheese, grated
1) Follow directions on the box/bag of broccoli to cook
2) Boil water in large pot, add elbow macaroni and follow directions to cook
3) Melt butter in sauce pan over low heat. Add 2 tablespoons flour and whisk to form a paste (roux)
4) This is where I messed up, my milk got burnt and clumpy the first time. The second time I took the pan off heat for a minute before I added milk, while still whisking
5) Slowly pour in milk, while continuing to whisk
6) Once all milk was added, I put the heat back on to medium
7) I thought the mixture was going to be thick right away so I added another tablespoon of flour.
8) After whisking for probably 5 minutes, it began to thicken. I then turned the heat to lowest possible and slowly whisked in the cheese.
9) Put macaroni in a big dish, mix in cheese sauce and broccoli. (I took too long to make the roux so I put it in the oven for 10 minutes to heat up)
Taste: Very good, but tasted more like an alfredo sauce than mac & cheese. It was just lightly sauced, not thick and creamy like normal.
Time: 45 minutes
Price: Under $20
Difficulty: The roux can be difficult to make but everything else is easy.
Follow me on Twitter @PinningInRL
Original Pinterest link: http://cravingchronicles.com/2011/03/31/broccoli-and-white-cheddar-mac-cheese/